Hallway Makeover

************If you are new to my paper floors, please read this first.***************

I know it’s hard to believe that I’m still continuing my quest to rid the house of carpet. After completing the stairs, I moved into the hallway. I knew it’d be difficult to get this done since it’s a high traffic area- but I figured I’d get it over with! The hallway used to look like this:

You can see there has been quite a bit of damage at each door seam (courtesy of the cats). Other than that, it’s in fairly good shape-but doesn’t match my new sophisticated vision of the space.

So I turned to my brown craft paper again, continuing the carpet demo from the staircase. I’ll be the first one to admit that this was a rush job. Between 3 working adults with all bedrooms upstairs, I had to time everything to dry while we were out of the house or sleeping. The bedrooms themselves will be easier since we’ll totally evacuate to another room when the time comes.

After ripping up the carpet and removing staples and tack strips:

Hmmm…second thoughts, anyone? I pressed on, filling the cracks and nail holes with wood filler and sanding everything smooth.

In order to allow us to walk on it, I papered the whole area except 3 “hopping” spots (see the how-to here).

The next morning I filled in the spots and let them dry before staining the whole floor.

It’s not my best stain job, due to the fact that I was rushed and had to stain myself literally down the stairs without the option to fix anything. I’ll do better in the rooms. After 8 coats of poly (planning on doing 4 more when I complete the rooms), I added a reducing threshold to floor at the bathroom entrance with liquid nails.

It’s still hard to see the grand vision because there is a lot of finishing work to do. I have to add trim to the baseboards to cover the gap and stain the threshold to the bathroom to match the floor (p.s. these are way more expensive than I thought, a 6ft unfinished section set me back $15). I also left the area around the doorway to each bedroom a little jagged to help me blend the areas when I do the floor installation in the bedrooms. The edges are only stained (but not poly-ed) to help the transition. I have plans for a floor cloth runner in here as well as re-purposing my old dining room chandelier to replace the boob light (not shown…).

Even though it’s still a little rough, I’m loving the look and can’t wait to move on into the guest room! What do you think so far? Not bad for a simple and effective solution to home hallway flooring!

*****Linked Up******

Comments

1. How cool is this!!! I have never seen this done before…how do you clean it? Thanks for sharing this thrifty idea with us at NTT.

Blessings,
    Linda

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

Thanks Linda! I clean it the same way as my hardwood downstairs: vacuum with my Kirby then mop with vinegar/water and a microfiber pad.

• Michelle Smith says:

I did this to my entire house back in 1998, except, I did not stain the floor but just pollyed it and let it take on different shades, it looked like faux flagstone and I have gotten so many compliments on it over the years, I have 4 cats so there are some scratch marks but it has held up great.

• How does it wear????

• rachaelevans says:

Lori- It wears really well in my opinion, especially considering it’s just paper. Dog nails can scratch it, but I haven’t found it to be awful and it’s only happened a few times over the past 6+months. Regular traffic seems fine. I do put felt feet on my furniture because I like to move it around a lot. I treat it a lot like my hardwoods on the first floor.

• Awesome! I did the paper exactly like you did a few years back on my dining room walls and everyone loves them. I had never thought about doing it to a floor! This could be my next project-thank you

• Hi Mary Lee.
          You said you did your walls. I was curious, when its cold outside or moisture in the air, does it make the walls tacky or anything? I was wanting to do some off my walls as well but wasnt sure the glue would start to run. Hope this isnt a stupid question, Im not much of a DIYer.

• sidelia gonzalez says:

i’ve seen this done on walls before but it looks just as beautiful on floors im hoping to do this to my home this summer in my kitchen??? i have tile do you think its a good idea? and where did you get so much paper bag material from? where can i get it?

2. How cool is this!!! I have never seen this done before…how do you clean it? Thanks for sharing this thrifty idea with us at NTT.

Blessings,
    Linda

3. heymudda says:

I already have wood floors throughout my home-hubby no longer sneezing- but I love this look. I’m going to use it on an old writing desk this weekend. I think it would make the top of it look like old leather!

4. pure awesomeness…

5. Stephanie says:

I think it looks really awesome. How does it feel to walk on in bare feet? Is it rough and uneven?

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

Stephanie- It actually feels nice under bare feet. It is smooth since there is so much poly on it, but it’s almost like a leather texture where it’s softer than wood. I dig it :) But we will be putting a lot of area rugs upstairs since my husband says he’ll miss the feeling of the carpet.

6. It looks great!!! I really cannot wait to see it all put together! :) I’m loving those floors so much. I wish I could see them in person somewhere. I also love the molding idea for the base boards. We have been considering the same thing for when we finish the concrete floors throughout the house. It’s either that or take off all the baseboards and get new (maybe taller) ones!

7. I think this looks so classy! When you compare the before and the after, it looks so much more modern and CLEAN really… It’s weird, but bare floors, read NO carpet seems so much cleaner!

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

Yes that’s it exactly Kassi, it is much cleaner isn’t it?! Weird, but true! Thanks for popping over!

8. I love the way it looks on your stairs and now in your hallways! It looks very rich!! Great job!

9. Love how this is looking. I did my bathroom walls ina previous house and painted them rusty red. It looked like oxblood leather. I haven’t gotten brave enough to do a floor yet.

10. Love how this is looking. I did my bathroom walls ina previous house and painted them rusty red. It looked like oxblood leather. I haven’t gotten brave enough to do a floor yet.

11. That’s awesome…looks very sophistocated…wanna come to my house…I have a couple bathrooms that need major floor refinishing….lol

12. That’s awesome…looks very sophistocated…wanna come to my house…I have a couple bathrooms that need major floor refinishing….lol

13. wow you are so amazing,I think everything you have done is fantastic, I posted it on my blog to share with all of my southern friends here in Tn. thanks for sharing your work!!!

14. This is so pretty and so creative. What a great idea. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

15. Genius! I had my doubts when I started reading, but you’ve totally won me over. Now, to talk DH into trying it here.

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

LOL Barbara! That seems to be the normal reaction, like uhhh…..trust me I was unsure at first, but I am super picky about things looking cheap and non-pro, but I really like this-especially compared to carpet. And, if/when we decide to do hardwood upstairs, it can just go right over the top!

16. Joyce Meier says:

This looks so fantastic! This is a crazy question and I know you said how you clean it. My daughter has a two story house and her doggie door is located in the large wrap around hall closet. The senior dogs have had some accidents :-( do you think this would work in an area that needs to be dog cleaned often? she keeps saying she’s going to rip out the carpet?

17. I did this a long time ago to my bathroom walls and loved it! As soon as I saw your rug the floor caught my attention and I thought did she…
    It’s a great look, at the price is definitely right!

18. We are going to do this in our upstairs guest bedroom i was wondering if you stain the floor when it is still wet or completly dry?

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

Wait until the paper and glue has completely dried before staining-usually overnight is sufficient!

19. Well this just beats them all!! How amazing!

20. I have a child care upstairs and have wanted to remove the carpet I saw this yrs ago thanks for revival. I was wondering about doing this on a cement floor. Any thoughts?

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

Gina- I would try it on cement, but a lady who commented below said she sealed her concrete first and had problems with adhesion. Unfortunately I ddon’t have first hand knowledge, but I think if you skipped the sealer it might work better.

21. WISH WE COULD DO THIS IDEA ON MY FLOORS THAT ARE NOW CARPETED. BUT THEY HAVE CEMENT UNDER THE CARPET. GET SO TIRED OF SHAMPOING THEM. ANY IDEAS TO HELP? JANA

22. i am so loving your blog! do you think this paper project would work on an old vinyl floor? do you think application would be any different? have you thought about papering a dropcloth like this to work as an area rug?thank you so much for answering all my questions..linda

23. i can’t wait to do this!!! it is beautiful!

can you please tell me what brand and color of stain you used?

24. thank you for sharing! i truly appreciate it!

25. I LOVE this! I would defiitely consider doing this myself! My only question is: Is it durable enough to withstand the test of time? PS~ I hope you dont mind me reposting this to my fledgling blog! =)

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

Alisha, so far it has been great!! I have heard from others that it has lasted 7-10 years. We are planning on doing hardwoods eventually up there, so I don’t know how long we’ll have with it but I am loving it! Thank you for reposting!

26. I want to know what color your stain is! I would like to use THIS color! :D

• Uh– nevermind I found it! Can you tell us how much poly you used? As in for 200 sqft, I used 2 gallons– I read that one person used almost a gallon per sqft.

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

Hmmm….I don’t know for sure since I’ve done two staircases and a hallway but to give you an idea: I have part of my second gallon left and have done 1 small bedroom (about 8×10) and one larger bedroom (about 10 x 12) plus the (2) stairs and hallway. Almost everything has 12 coats. 1 gallon per square foot is WAY off. I expect our master to use the rest of the second gallon and most of a 3rd (it’s the size of the other two bedrooms combined). Our whole top floor is 622 sq. ft. Hope that helps!

• Lina Adreani says:

I did jump in and do thsi on my basement flor..looks great..but it did chip with the furniture moving so we put carpet pads on the bottom of all the furniture..but i used a gallon and part of a gallon and didnt even do as many coats as you in a much smaller area? am i using to much poly at a time like too thick? could this also be why our ripped?

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

Lina- It’s possible you’re putting it on too thick…how long did you let the last coat dry before moving furniture in? It really needs a week to fully cure and harden, so I put felt on everything right from the start. I still put felt on all the furniture just for extra protection.

• Love your floor. It looks great. I am trying to find a durable floor covering for my basement. We have epoxied our concrete floor and it has cracked. My kids roller skate and ride-on toys. Do you think it might stand up to that abuse?

• rachaelevans says:

I don’t think it would be a good idea for that application Tiffany, it will scratch like wood floors.

27. Kelly W. says:

I just found this via pinterest and I love it! Do you think it would be sturdy enough to stand up to a kitchen? We currently have the stick on tiles, thanks to the previous owner, and they are coming up at the seams. :( Got to do something!

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

Kelly- Are you talking about a counter or a backsplash? I know people who have done it on desk/dresser tops with good results, but for a countertop you’d really have to sand the surface and I might even try that resin stuff instead of poly on top. If I had a countertop in bad condition, I’d certainly try it anyways LOL.

28. I’ve done this in my husband’s office, my son’s room and a hallway. I”d like to try stain in our bedroom. How did you apply it?

29. I’ve done this in 2 rooms and a hallway. I’d like to use stain when I do my bedroom. How did you apply the stain? I layed down my paper with glue. I see where some people use polyurethane Do you think it would work to add stain to the glue/polyurethane?

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

I prefer to use the glue/water over poly to adhere the paper because it’s MUCH cheaper, and dries faster. Plus, I haven’t seen anything to suggest the poly makes it last longer. I would not recommend mixing the stain with anything because I used an oil based stain, but the poly I like is waterbased. If your paper is dry, you can apply the stain with a lambskin mop pad (like for staining decks), then follow with poly (using a sponge mop head). Hope that helps!

• Thanks! I wish I had used stain in the two rooms I’ve done already but I’m gearing up to do the living and dining rooms. I’m debating between special walnut and dark walnut for the stain. It looks like you were successful using oilbased stain under the waterbased polyurethane. I hope to recreate the same success.

30. Nicole BYler says:

I love this idea!!Looks great!!I am wanting to do it in my kitchen, but I have the vinyl on the floor now and concret under it. DO you think it would work just putting it over the vinyl?

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

I know of people who have done it on vinyl, my suggestion would be to make sure the vinyl is in good condition, clean it very well, then sand it with some 80 grit before starting. Hope that helps!

31. i saw this on pinterest and was curious. i’ve been thinking about doing a similar thing with magazine pages/pictures. i’ve been concerned about the durability. you’ve had it for a few months, how is it holding up? does it nick and scratch easily? does is show any water damage when you mop up? is there any downside to this? it’s a large floor and would be time consuming, so i would love some additional input before i go on this journey. thanx!

• Lovely Crafty Home says:

Hi Anna! In my opinion it is holding up great. I use a swiffer type mop (cloth pad with my own solution), not a traditional mop and it cleans beautifully. I treat it the same as hardwood. I wouldn’t leave a puddle of water on my hardwood floors, and I wouldn’t leave a puddle on the paper floors either. We do have a dog and there are a few scratches from her nails when she got rowdy one night…not “typical” dog walking if you know what I mean. Regular foot traffic has been fine-especially the stairs which are holding up way better than I thought given the traffic they get. We have also done 2 rooms (not sure if you saw those posts) so I can say it looks great in a large area. I use area rugs in the rooms and felt pads under furniture.

Is there a downside? I suppose so, I mean I will have to add quarter round to the baseboards because there is a 1″ gap between them and the floor. It may not be as durable as tile, vinyl, or laminate/engineered wood. To me it performs about the same as our oak floors. It’s soft enough to scratch if you try hard enough.

Would I go back to carpet? NO. Was it worth the roughly $100 I have spent on two staircases, a hallway, and two rooms? YES. The only thing I would replace this floor with is hardwood (which is in the plans eventually…like 5 years maybe). I am very happy with it, and I wouldn’t hesitate to replace any bad flooring with this method. At the very least it’s a temporary solution.

Hope that helps!

32. First off, I love it! I can’t wait to look atbthe rest of your work. I had a few questions for you if you don’t mind answering. First, what type of glue did you use to put the paper down? secondly, did you just stain the paper after the glue dried?
    Thanks so much and keep up the awesome work!

33. I love this! My question is though, if we do this…. in 5 years if we want to do a different flooring (tiles or hard wood) would we just do it right over this?

34. i want to do this on my stairs but i seem to be missing a few steps how did you put the brown paper down. did u wet it and ball it up then put it down. how did you sucure it to the floor before the polly part.

35. Will this work on concrete floor?? My house is built on a slab with no subfloor. I would love to try this!

• rachaelevans says:

My dad did it on concrete using poly only (the glue won’t stick).

• I was so excited to do this project but also was attempting to treat concrete. After two goes at it and my husband pressuring me to have completion, I gave up. I will attempt another run at our bathroom floor for a temporary fix until a remodel. Overall I just love the look. I would suggest an alternate adhesive for concrete. Also, I found that I wasn’t overlapping my pieces enough so as the paper dried they shrunk and left occasional gap between pieces.

• rachaelevans says:

Michele- For concrete you will need to adhere the paper with polyurethane instead of glue. Hope that helps!

• How do you use polyurethane instead of glue? I also have concrete floors.

• rachaelevans says:

Cindy- Basically you’d crumple the paper, brush the floor with poly, then lay the paper and brush poly over it. I haven’t actually done this myself, but I have heard that the poly will stick to the concrete. Hope that helps!

36. I think this idea is such a great thing for subfloor application but why would you want to apply it to concrete floors? You can stain concrete floors and get the same effect. Please don’t take this as a negative comment. I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware that you could stain it. There should be plenty of online tutorials for concrete staining if you are interested.

• rachaelevans says:

Lauren- that is a good point, I have seen some gorgeous stain on concrete!

• Staining my concrete hallway is not an option due to the condition of the concrete. So I am curious is papering it. I understand that I would need to coat the concrete with poly rather that glue before laying the paper; but would I still soak the paper in a water/glue mixture? Any advice is greatly appreciated. With a baby on the way, I’m ready to get this project completed!

• rachaelevans says:

Paige- Michelle just gave a helpful comment, she did use 50/50 glue which worked for her. But I have also heard that glue does not work, so it may depend on the condition and consistency of the concrete. You could try the glue in a small area first to test it. Otherwise, you’ll be using poly only-no glue-which makes it harder to add stain in. You’d probably brush the poly on, lay the paper, then brush poly on top…I wouldn’t soak it.

37. I think this is FABULOUS… I was just day dreaming this morning about ripping up the flloor in our bathroom off one of the bedrooms, then thought I’d take out everything and start new…. THIS could be the flloor I end up with… the bedroom is very rustic, so this would be fantastic in my opinion.! thank you for sharing this awesome technique!

38. Mitch McElroy says:

I like the look. Lot easier than tiling which I planned to do in hallway and living room. Is there a problem yet with putting things on it or moving things around. Certainly I would think you really couldn’t move things around by pushing around, you would probably have to pick it up to move it. Looks great though. Let me know something on setting things on it.

• rachaelevans says:

Mitch- After the poly fully cures (depends on what you use) you’d be surprised at how resilient it is. Still, I put those felt feet on all my furniture and it slides fine. I treat them the same way I treat my hardwoods downstairs.

39. Michelle Smith says:

We did put this paper floor on our cement slab back in 1999, Needed an inexpensive floor treatment, tried several things that just didnt work, being frustrated I picked up a decorating book from the 70′s and came across an article on “faux flagstone” floors using either paper bags or brown kraft paper, tried it on a story board and loved it, we used white elmers glue cut 50/50 with water, but we didn’t crumble our paper, we used a roller brush to put glue on back of paper, put it on the floor and rolled glue over the top, when room was finished 20×30 we let it dry the applied water based polly on top about 4 times, when it dried it looked like stone, felt great and has held up even with my 3 cats except for scratch marks, nothing major. Everyone loves my floors and several have coppied it, We did install new vinyl planks on the downstairs due to the fact we are selling out home and didn’t think most people would like the paper floors but we have left it in the upstairs bedrooms. It still looks good after 12 years. Pet stains will ruin it if you don’t clean it soon, but you can redo any part at anytime. I would do this again.

• Michelle Smith says:

I forgot to say that not only did this stick to my cement, it is almost impossible to get off (we needed to replace a spot and it took an effort to get it up) and we live in a high humidity area so it does wrinle up a little but flattens back out when we turn on air or humidity goes down. Hope this helps.

• rachaelevans says:

Thank you so much for sharing Michelle!! You are the only person who has ever written that has done this to their cement floor with glue. That is really good to know :)

40. I love this look, and of course, the low cost! I want to do it in our office, but my husband is afraid that it will be impossible to change in the future. He thinks that it may be too thick to put another floor over–how thick is it with all the coats of poly? Thanks!

• rachaelevans says:

Kate- it’s VERY thin actually even with all the poly, which is why you need shoe molding to cover the gap in the baseboard. I would not hesitate to put hardwood right over top in the future.

41. Jealous Floor Girl says:

So how do you do it? Glue the paper bags? and then stain it?I love it!

42. Jealous Floor Girl says:

So how exactly do you do this? Do you glue the bags down first?

43. My friend just shared this link with me. It looks great. I’m your 600th follower. Would love it if you could visit some time and follow back @ thebewitchinkitchen.com

44. This is awesome! I may be late to the game, but I’ve never seen anything like this before. This is so cool!

45. AWESOME and AMAZING! LOVE IT!

46. Christine says:

WOW!! Love it! My Mom did this with masking tape on our lamp shades when I was a kid. BUT… I must do this… Question???? You did 8 coats of poly but how waster resistant is it???? Please let me know! I’d like to do my kitchen.
    Thanks

• rachaelevans says:

Christine- I know people who have used it in bathrooms, I would say to treat it like hardwood. I wet mop mine (spray mop, not a traditional mop) and wipe up spills immediately. I actually went back and added 4 more coats of poly, I recommend 12.

47. Alicia choate says:

I was wondering how you did the stain? Did you blot it or do it with a roller? I have my walls done like this but I didn’t stain them and I love it but the floors I would want to stain.

48. This is awesome!!!!

I have this little landing at the bottom of my split home stairs I need to cover with something. I was doing another type of flooring, but ran out and haven’t been too thrilled to finish it. I might try this instead.

49. Dina Bartlett says:

I want to use the white kraft paper on my wall, can it be used the same as the brown?

50. I love the look and would love it in my drab entryway!!! Our house is very rustic so I think it would be fun! But what to do when tired of it??? Would it be hard to put flooring over??? Thanks for sharing your great idea!!!! LOVE it!

• rachaelevans says:

Kalie- We are planning to lay hardwood right over it eventually. Carpet would also go easily over the top. You might need some prep for tile (sanding through some of the poly), but I’ve never laid floor tile so I can’t speak to that unfortunately. Hope that helps!

51. Great floor! I did this on walls in my basement. They were old paneled walls that I hated so I tore the craft paper and mod podged it right over the paneling. I was afraid the cracks on the paneling would show through but they didn’t! It covered great and looks great! I didn’t seal the walls and they have looked good for several years. My next project to update the walls will be to burnish them with copper paint, just to highlight the areas.

52. Tracy Culley says:

Do you think instead of the coats of poly, you could put epoxy down?

53. Can I ask what do you use to stick the paper to the floor before you stain it?

54. Cheryl Puckett says:

I was wondering how it is holding up after this much time? Are you still as happy with it as you were in the beginning? We are buying a condo and I want to spruce up some areas….and I love this idea. I have seen it on kitchen counters, too…and am thinking of doing it in my kitchen until we replace the counters with granite.

• rachaelevans says:

Cheryl- We still love it…it is holding up great and I doubt there is an alternative (aside from hardwood) that I would like better at this point. Hope that helps!

55. I really want to do this to my stairway. My question is how did you do this without “help” from you cats? I only have one cat, but she is NOSY! So I am just wondering how you handled it when you got to the poly stage.

Thanks!

• rachaelevans says:

Kathy- I would keep her in another room with food/water/litter box. Ours didn’t seem very interested in the process haha.

56. I have hand made terra cotta tiles in my kitchen and dining room. They were made to be uneven surfaced. The floor ripples. I’ve been told that hardwood would not last even if I had a thick underlayment because of the ripple effect. I don’t want carpet. Since many of the tiles are cracked I am thinking of trying this covering each cracked tile with smooth paper and staining the paper to match the terra cotta. Any advice?

• rachaelevans says:

Miss Bee- It’s certainly worth a shot given the lack of options…you could try the red rosin paper instead of the brown, that might be a better match colorwise.

57. EthelSmith says:

I just used this process to cover the top of a coffee table. I am waiting for the stain to dry right now. Unfortunately it looks like I’m going to have spots that got much darker than the rest. It looks like maybe the paper didn’t have enough glue on it and the stain made it wet. Did you have this problem? Should I try to recover those spots?
    By the way – your floors look awesome!

• rachaelevans says:

Hmmmm…I’m not sure what happened…was the paper totally dry when you applied the stain? You could recover them if you like, but if it’s not that noticeable I wouldn’t worry about it :)

58. Patti Brooks says:

This is GREAT and you did a wonderful job. I want to do my living room walls and ceiling, but do you know if this can be done on blown ceilings? (popcorn ceilings). I have researched and can not find any info on the ceilings. I appreciate any help you have. And again, you did a great job!

• rachaelevans says:

Patti- I would think so, but you may end up seeing the texture in the final product. I would suggest trying it in a small area to test it out.

• BriSwartley says:

The popcorn texture is actually really easy to remove. Just spray it down really good with diluted vinegar and scrape it with a putty knife. I’ve only got one room left to remove it from =) there are videos online, some people’s just falls off if you wet it enough. I had to scrape a little but not much. I suggest using a gardner sprayer and covering all your light fixtures first.

59. OH MY GOODNTIS IS SOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL I have to know adzactly how you did this please tell me. Are you using brown paper bags and then staining the floor. How do you do this process i really want to do it in my home. What is poly please please i really need to know how to do this can you send me an email with the step by step process Im begging you this is the most coolest thing I hve ever seen, My goodness you are so creative. You should have your own design show WOW TRULY AMAZING!!!!!!! please email me mthibodeau@telus.net and in subject line put LEATHER LOOK FLOOR thanks so much I wil blog about this and get your site traffic. Ill definately be telling all my friends.

60. Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the information! My husband and I just did our kitchen/dining room floors using kraft paper. We tweaked it to make it look like wood, though! Would love to share pictures if you are interested!
    -Ericka

61. Would this work in a bathroom?

• rachaelevans says:

Heather- I haven’t used it in a bathroom, but I know of people who have with success. Just remember it’s a lot like wood flooring so standing water is a no-no. You’d have to just be careful about tub/shower use.

62. Thanks so much for this. I’m glad I ran across it. I’ve ‘pin’ it so I can find it agan. We are buying a house that has carpet in the kitchen – UGH! At this point I don’t know what is under there (sub-floor or vinyl) and I’ve been wondering what to do with it. I want it gone ASAP but worry about the expense. Now I know that I can get it taken care of with a little work on my part. Thanks again….I’m so excited now.

63. april edwards says:

Can you please let me know what you put it down with? Glue,ect. I love this,I have a cowgirl coming home from a college break and want it done before she gets home. Thank you. Please email me with it.

64. My question is…we have a backporch area that is screened in and have particle boad on he floor. I have painted it, but would love to do this to the floor. Do you think it would hold up to outside weather????
    It is pretty protected, but gets occasional wet puddles from the rain and snow.

• rachaelevans says:

Cat- I’d be hesitant to apply this anywhere that could be wet for an extended period of time. The standing water will erode the poly (think of water spots on hardwood).

65. sonji c says:

I love it!! It would be perfct for my bedroom and less expensive than hardwood. I can”t wait to try it.

66. Love this look. Can I do it on a cement floor? Would like this in my basement. It is high traffic in the winter months because of mud, calving and all, but I think it would work. Please give me your opinion. Thanks
    C

67. I was wondering if this is something that I could do on my patio? Do you think it would stick down on concrete? Also, do you think that I could use some type of outdoor poly to seal it? I would love this look out there.

• rachaelevans says:

Marcia- I wouldn’t recommend it for outdoor spaces at all, I just don’t think it would hold up long term.

68. Heather says:

Hi there! I apologize if this is a repeat question… We have almost completed the “putting the paper down” phase of this project, and I was re-reading the instructions when I realized that in the list of items used, you gave a link to the minwax (oil based) stain, but then later said that you had used a water based stain… I am wanting to use a water base for both the stain and poly, did you use a water based stain, and if so, which one? Thank you!!

• rachaelevans says:

Heather- I used oil based stain and water based poly. I have not heard many good reports with the water based stain, so you might want to test it in a small area before you go that route. Good luck!

69. Veronicka says:

Do you think this would work well outdoors? lol :)

70. Veronicka says:

Is this an indoors only project?

71. I am still in the process of doing this to my guest room. I love it so far. I used glue/water mixture on concrete. We have a slab home and it had what I call old school tile. It worked fine for me. I am totally bummed at how long it is taking for the poly to dry. I did two coats today and I feel like I rushed it. I didn’t realize it would take me this long. I live in a small house so the things that need to go back in the room are driving me nuts sitting around the house. I stained mine but kinda wish I would have skipped that step. I got stain on my perfectly painted trim. My fault on that cause I should have removed it. I love your idea on the stairs but this has killed my back so I think it will be awhile. Thanks so much for the wonderful instructions.

72. Looks beautiful!! Has this been done on hardwood floors?

• rachaelevans says:

Cheryl- I’m not sure, I haven’t personally done it but maybe someone else has? I would worry about the cracks between boards showing up through the paper. I would kill for hardwood upstairs though, may I ask why you want to cover it up?

73. Sabrina Reynolds says:

I did this in my Master Bath about 3 months ago and couldn’t be happier. It is still gorgeous as ever and very durable. Thank you for the amazing tutorial…I followed it to a tee and it worked out GRAND!

74. Does anyone know how this would do on top of felt paper that is over concrete?

75. my husband and I followed the tutorial for this exactly, same products, same method, same everything and it failed. water based poly over oil based stain is not a good idea. it crackled up under our tennis shoes. we are going to try a test spot with laquer but if that doesnt work we will have to do wood flooring. hope others dont have the same issues.

76. Years ago they used this with paper bags, even on the walls. You did a great job. I wanted to do this in an entry way but had no time so used wood tile. Linda

77. how did you get it to stick to the floor..DId you glue it??

78. My daughter sent this page over to me, and I’m so glad she did! I think she and her husband may be planning on doing this in their new home, but I also think I’m going to try it in MY home as well! I’m thinking this will be very nice in our master bedroom, so we can take a little more time to get it done… won’t be rushed as much as you had to be putting it in your hallway. However, if this looks as nice as it does in your pictures, perhaps we’ll move on out from that master bedroom area and into other parts of the house. Thank you very much for posting this. I am always in awe of the resourcefulness and creativity of people and of some of the things they can figure out. Just very nice here, really.

79. It would be better to move the base board down. You will have to splice in new molding at the doorway, but the end result would be much more desirable.

80. Si u have steps and list of product u used on this project

81. Love your ideas. If people read the comments they would have all their questions answered! Sheesh. I’m going to try this on a kitchen wall that was wall papered and then painted over. Our puppy would hide under the table and pull the paper off the wall! Sooo I think this might be te perfect solution! Thanks for sharing

82. Ok I am going to try this in laundry room but need to know how long it will take so I can move washer and dryer back and how long I wait between coats of poly super excited to try this thAnks for sharing

83. I want to do this to my living room but can’t find the steps after pulling up carpet to polyurethane need help please

84. Love it. Going to try it on in the basement absoluty love this idea

85. I love you idea of using paper for flooring. I used brown paper to cover a mess of stuff in a bathroom once. Similar technique… torn and crumpled then wall papered with paste to the wall.. did the entire bathroom as there was part of old paper on the wall etc… sponged in a accent of gold paint to give is added glimmer.. then coated the walls with a finish clear coat… what a HUGE difference that and a new shower curtain made… felt like home vs a disaster zone.

86. What a great idea. Have seen it done on walls, but not on floors before now.

87. I just wanted to thank you for this amazing idea! I now have paper bag floors covering 2/3 of my home including kitchen and bathrooms. They have been in for over a year now and we absolutely LOVE them! They stand up to everything from water to tonka trucks. Everyone that sees them loves the look :) thanks again!

88. Robin Massengill says:

I am doing this in my home, one bedroom we pulled up carpet and then the sticky tile, It all looked good. Got my paper down and I had some sort of color bleed through, a spot of green and a spot of red. It is all dried now, but not sure what to do to get rid of if. I don’t want to stain the floor with that on there. What kind of recommendations are there for this sort of thing?

89. Robin Massengill says:

I just finished one bedroom and I have 2 spots of bleed through one green and one red, not sure what they are, don’t remember seeing any coloring on the floor prior. I am wondering what kind of solution there is for this. I don’t have it stained yet as I want to get rid of these spots. Any suggestions?

90. Great tranformation it`s hard to think how you do that makeover i want to try …. but i wish i can do ill try my best

91. Lovely Crafty Home says:

92. Uh– nevermind I found it! Can you tell us how much poly you used? As in for 200 sqft, I used 2 gallons– I read that one person used almost a gallon per sqft.

93. Lovely Crafty Home says:

94. Michelle Smith says:

95. rachaelevans says:

96. rachaelevans says:

97. rachaelevans says:

98. I just finished this in a bedroom. It came out good except a few piceses wrinkled even after I smoothed with wall paper smoothie. Did yours have a few wrinkles & how did you get them out? Thanks

Trackbacks

1. [...] what’s up with the floor? Click here to read about [...]

2. [...] Paper Bag Floor from Lovely Crafty [...]

3. Upcycling says:

[...] in paper bags. It looks almost like a leather floor. What a nice inexpensive floor covering. http://lovelycraftyhome.com/2011/04/…lway-makeover/ ****If you are new to my paper floors, please read this first.*** [...]

4. [...] Pin It Source: lovelycraftyhome.com via Amber on [...]

5. [...] from Lovely Crafty Home has transformed two sets of stairs and an upper hallway so dramatically, I just had to share her [...]