I recently sold a piece in my booth (yay!) that I wanted to share with you guys because I used the infamous tin foil technique. I had never tried it before, but given the original state of the coffee table, I didn’t have a lot of options.

The original owner had wrapped the top in vinyl fabric, but I loved the iron legs! Aren’t they so scroll-a-licious? When I ripped off the fabric, I found a plywood sandwich that I couldn’t paint or stain. So, I started considering options for re-covering it. I thought about textured wallpaper because I’m currently in love with it, but it probably wouldn’t hold up well on a surface that gets a lot of use. Then I remembered a metallic dresser I saw in a local boutique- I thought a metallic top on the iron legs would be so glam.

I did some research on silver leaf, then ultimately decided to go the  aluminum foil route. If it was a disaster, I could always try something else over it or just replace the top entirely.

Slightly wrinkling then applying the foil with mod podge left me with this (warning- don’t look directly at it):

I started to wonder if I’d made a mistake. I mean it was cool (like a stainless steel fridge) but a bit too much like BAM that’s just over the border into crazytown. Whenever I’ve gone over the edge, I always try to remember that there are more steps that will likely help the situation. Some antiquing medium, dark brown craft paint, and black antiquing polish (all in those little bottles from A.C. Moore) went into a plastic bowl. I really had no recipe, I just wanted to get a color that wasn’t too black or brown. I brushed it on the table, then dabbed it with a rag. All of the following pictures were taken in my booth, sorry for the sterile set up.

If I’m being completely honest, I actually messed up twice and had to recover the table with foil both times. What I learned was to really try to keep a wet edge when you’re working, and under no circumstances should you try to do an area twice unless it is completely dry and you are very careful. But, other than that it was easy 🙂 I am just very picky on how my “distressing” looks, and it took me a few tries to get it right.

After the paint/glaze was completely dry (like, overnight-which is hard for an impatient person like myself), I used a mini trim roller to roll on 6 coats of satin Mod Podge, sanding with 400 grit in between each coat. Because of the built up finish, the table feels quite smooth despite it’s appearance. I also sanded and sprayed the legs with Rustoleum “Aged Iron” (like I did on my bookends).

I love the table a lot, and it’s a perfect example of why I got my booth space. I really wanted to explore my creativity and get outside of the box- refinishing furniture that wouldn’t necessarily “gel” with my house. Just because it’s not craftsmen, doesn’t mean I don’t love it, ya know? So, I  hope as I continue to make inventory for my space that I will be sharing some pieces that make you think I’m a little off my rocker. Just a wee bit.

11 Responses

  1. Foster Failure

    […] Failure December 15, 2011 Leave a Comment Auto Adsense WPI already shared with you my first “booth” piece, but really this was the project that started it all. I saw this coffee table on Craigslist for $5 […]

  2. Renee Cook

    Rachael, this look fantastic!! You are so talented. I am sure you are going to have much success with your booth.
    My BFF lives in Flat Rock, NC and the next time I come up for a visit I hope to make it to your store and meet you.
    I was also in the Engineering Field for 30 years. Due to the down turn in economy my career came to an end 3 years ago. I am also trying to find my next path. I read your blog everyday and you are an inspiration for this 51 year old, for this I thank you, Sincerely, Renee

  3. Carol

    I had a table like yours and needed a top. I cut a piece of mdf and did the paper bags like you did to your floor. I had different bags from different stores. They all took the stain differently. I also used shoe polish on top of the stain. It turned out great, looks like leather

  4. JaDe

    I am letting the foil dry on my dresser and decided to google some finishes. My floors match my floors. That project is actually what gave me the “I can do this” feeling with the foil. If you use a lot of Mod Podge (I used to) try Elmer’s Glue All (not the same as school glue, permanent). I get it at Lowe’s for $12-15 for a gallon. Saves me a lot of money using it instead of Mod Podge.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.